Monday, December 11, 2006

More Dragon Lance: The Second Generation

Yes, I finished Test of the Twins; very quickly in fact. But not quick enough that I don't have a few more yet to read. I am now working on The Second Generation. At first I was skeptical, I couldn't get into the characters, especially after the traumatizing events of Test. I have to keep in mind that this was written barely less than 10 years later. The writing style is rather different. The Second Generation is 5 short stories. The first one I read, The Legacy, is about Caramon's son, Palin, and his Test at the Tower of High Sorcery. The mages in Wayreth basically tricked Caramon into letting his son take the test, because everyone knew he would never let him. So Palin's test consisted of meeting with his Uncle, Raistlin the Archmage, and considering whether or not to free him from the Abyss, where he is tortured and eaten every day for eternity by the Dark Queen. Palin thought about it, almost did, but realized it was a bad idea because he could end up letting the Dark Queen into the real world by accident, and then he would be the cause of the end of the world. So Palin sent his uncle packing back to the Abyss realm where he would continue to live out his tasty fate. Palin also gets his uncle's staff. The staff of Magius. SHIRAK!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wowpie! i want a chipwich