Monday, October 23, 2006

The Age of Apocalypse

I knew this would happen, I just didn't think it would happen so soon. Part of the reason Gen X appeals to me so much is because its creators, Bachelo and Lobdell, were major players in the all time greatest comic serial of all time, marvel's the "Age of Apocalypse." After Generation X issue #4 appears a ubiquitous segue into the AoA, and I realized, in order to experience Gen X in the untainted and original glory the way it was produced; in order to truly understand the progression of the writing, art and storytelling, I had to follow its evolution through the Aoa times.

At the same time, I realized that everything contained within the AoA universe operations under completely different laws of physical and psychological reality. In order to understand anything the happens within the AoA universe, the entire history of its existence must be examined simultaneously. In other words, I had to embark on one of the greatest journey's a comic book fan can travel: the complete Age of Apocalpyse legend in original single-issue format in chronological order. I've taken this journey three times before, once a little while after it first came out, once again later by myself, and once with Ben about 2 or 3 years ago. Each succeeding time I had acquired a few more important issues to complete the series, and now, on this forth of occasions, I have all but a small few of the issues that contain this epic, including the recent 10 year anniversary epilogue series that I read once, but can't even remember what happend.

Take yourself back to a time where Kyuss released their final album, Fu Manchu was beginning their ascent, Biggie was teaching white kids how to behave. Things done changed. 1995 was the year of Apocalypse, well a third of that year anyway.

I've decided to approach this AoA journey in a different way than I had the past few times. There is at least one or two AoA universe list of issues in chronological order, I read the series by this list the past two times I've entered the realm, but this time I've decided to read each "offshoot title" as a whole, to experience the title itself the way it was meant to be experienced by the way the specific collaborates that worked on its creation may have wanted.

But i've connected order of each title along with how its final issue fit into the Chronological list, which happens to be: Astonishing, Generation Next, Calibre, X-Man, Factor X, Gambit, Amazing, and Weapon.

So far I've read all the intro one-shots that lead into the meat of the story. This includes, the recent AoA one-shot, Chronicles 1 & 2, Tales of, and X-Men Alpha. X-Men Alpha, the pinnacle of 90's garish comic covers. Most people diss that, but F them. X-Men Alpha is the best 90's cover, wraparound too of course. Oh by Joe Madureira, did I even have to say that?

So I am poised to read the first Astonishing X-Men series, before, of course, today's wildly popular Whedon and Cassaday series. With Generation X on a very short break, I will try to report back about AoA as often as possible, I think the AoA can get that out of me.

No comments: